We just finished rolling back our internal servers migration to 3.0 back to 2.5. That was quite unpleasant, and was actually noticed by users.
That isn’t pleasant, but it is always better if we get the egg all our face than if it is a customer. The actual issue that we run into was pretty interesting.
The problem is that the database we use for running this blog (as well as most of our internal systems) has been through… a lot. It has gone through pretty much every released version, and many that weren’t actually released.
That means that from storage perspective (only
of interest to RavenDB developers), it is a bit of a mess. That in turn meant that we had to do extra work to convert the storage from the 2.5 version to the 3.0 version. That caused enough memory to be used that we hit our limits on memory usage, and failed to convert it to the 3.0 version.
That meant that it was stuck. That is actually one of the reasons that we test those things on our own systems, so that was great.
The not so great part was that we also uncovered another interesting bug (actually, several of them...(Read whole news on source site)